ARxC patient advocates and supporters, we are calling on you to deomstrate the peoples' demand for hate crime legislation in Georgia.
Georgia is one of only 4 states that does not have a hate crimes law to increase penalities for crimes committed based on bias or prejudice against someone because of their race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability.
Faith leaders with Faith in Public Life, LGBT communities and allies working with Georgia Equality, the Georgia Association of Police Chiefs, the Georgia Coalition for Safe Communities (of which was founded by ARxC), and other community groups and leaders in Georgia are demanding that the Georgia Senate pass the Georgia Enhanced Penalities for Hate Crimes Act (HB 426) as soon as session opens on June 15, 2020.
We need the help of Georgians to demand that Senate act on this bill.
Please email or call the following individuals and tell them that you strongly support the passage of HB 426 and request that they do what they can to bring the bill to the floor for a vote. GCSC makes it easy for you to send this message to the right people at: https://actionnetwork.org/
GA Senate Leadership
- Governor Brian Kemp: 404-656-1776 email@example.com
- Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan: 404-656-5030 John.Porter@ltgov.ga.gov
- Butch Miller-Pres. Pro Temp: 404- 656-6578 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Dugan-Majority Leader: 404- 656-7872 email@example.com
- Steve Gooch-Majority Whip: 404- 656-9221 firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Kennedy-Majority Caucus Chair: 404- 656.0045 email@example.com
- Larry Walker-Maj. Caucus Vice Chair: 404- 656-0095 firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Wilkinson- Maj. Caucus Secty: 404- 463-5257 email@example.com
GA Senate Judiciary Committee
- Jesse Stone - Chairman: (404) 463-1314 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill Cowsert - Vice Chairman: (404) 463.1366 email@example.com
- Blake Tillery - Secretary: (404) 656-0089 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill Heath - Member: (404) 656-3943 email@example.com
- Harold V. Jones - Member: (404) 463-3942 firstname.lastname@example.org
- John F. Kennedy - Member: (404) 656.0045 email@example.com
- William T. Ligon, Jr. - Member: (404) 463-1383 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elena Parent - Member: (404) 656-5109 email@example.com
- Michael 'Doc' Rhett - Member: (404) 656-0054 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brian Strickland - Member: (404) 656-7454 email@example.com
Additional news on Georgia's battle for a hate crimes law:
- Listen to NPR's May 9, 2020 2 minute coverage of this issue:
- Watch June 3, 2020 11Alive coverage of the issue and the need for hate crimes legislation in Georgia: