ARxC patient advocates and supporters, we are calling on you to deomstrate the peoples' demand for hate crime legislation in Georgia.
Georgia is one of only 4 states that does not have a hate crimes law to increase penalities for crimes committed based on bias or prejudice against someone because of their race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability.
Faith leaders with Faith in Public Life, LGBT communities and allies working with Georgia Equality, the Georgia Association of Police Chiefs, the Georgia Coalition for Safe Communities (of which was founded by ARxC), and other community groups and leaders in Georgia are demanding that the Georgia Senate pass the Georgia Enhanced Penalities for Hate Crimes Act (HB 426) as soon as session opens on June 15, 2020.
We need the help of Georgians to demand that Senate act on this bill.
Please email or call the following individuals and tell them that you strongly support the passage of HB 426 and request that they do what they can to bring the bill to the floor for a vote. GCSC makes it easy for you to send this message to the right people at: https://actionnetwork.org/
GA Senate Leadership
- Governor Brian Kemp: 404-656-1776 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan: 404-656-5030 John.Porter@ltgov.ga.gov
- Butch Miller-Pres. Pro Temp: 404- 656-6578 email@example.com
- Mike Dugan-Majority Leader: 404- 656-7872 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steve Gooch-Majority Whip: 404- 656-9221 email@example.com
- John Kennedy-Majority Caucus Chair: 404- 656.0045 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Larry Walker-Maj. Caucus Vice Chair: 404- 656-0095 email@example.com
- John Wilkinson- Maj. Caucus Secty: 404- 463-5257 firstname.lastname@example.org
GA Senate Judiciary Committee
- Jesse Stone - Chairman: (404) 463-1314 email@example.com
- Bill Cowsert - Vice Chairman: (404) 463.1366 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blake Tillery - Secretary: (404) 656-0089 email@example.com
- Bill Heath - Member: (404) 656-3943 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harold V. Jones - Member: (404) 463-3942 email@example.com
- John F. Kennedy - Member: (404) 656.0045 firstname.lastname@example.org
- William T. Ligon, Jr. - Member: (404) 463-1383 email@example.com
- Elena Parent - Member: (404) 656-5109 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael 'Doc' Rhett - Member: (404) 656-0054 email@example.com
- Brian Strickland - Member: (404) 656-7454 firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional news on Georgia's battle for a hate crimes law:
- Listen to NPR's May 9, 2020 2 minute coverage of this issue:
- Watch June 3, 2020 11Alive coverage of the issue and the need for hate crimes legislation in Georgia: