On February 12, 2020 the Rx in Reach Georgia Coalition attended the Georgia Senate Sub Committee on Insurance hearing for SB313, legislation to increase the oversight and regulation of pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs).
PBMs are corporations that negotiate pricing between insurers and drug manufacturers. These negotiations happen behind doors and without regulations. This allows PBMs to decide what medication will be accessible to whom and at what price. It is these practices that make it difficult for beneficiaries to receive their medication at an affordable cost.
--> See Dorothy Leone-Glasser's Op-Ed, “The Middlemen Getting Rich Off Your Prescriptions” for more details.
The Coalition filled the room with advocates and pharmacists along with the Medical Association of Georgia (MAG), American College of Rheumatology (ACR), and others concerned for patients. The Senators were not as responsive to the patients plight.
As a supporter of the Rx in Reach Georgia Coalition, please take a moment to:
- Call the Senate subcommittee (below) and ask them to pass SB313
- Call Senator Dean Burke (SB313 sponsor) at (404) 656-0040 and/or email Senator Burke's Legislative Assistant, Evelyn Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org,gov to thank Senator Burke for his leadership in sponsoring SB313.
Rx in Reach Georgia is also seeking new patient stories, with headshots for this campaign. Please send your testimony to Dorothy Leone-Glasser at email@example.com.
House PBM bills are expected to be introduced this week (February 16-22).
Thank you for your assistance.
Sub Committee SB313
- Burke, Dean: Member Ins. Comm. SB313 Sponsor; Office: (404) 656-0040; firstname.lastname@example.org,gov (SB313 sponsor)
- Walker, III, Larry Member; Sub Comm. Chair; Office: (404) 656-0095; email@example.com
- Martin IV, P. K. Sub Comm. Vice Chairman; Office: (404) 463-6598; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sims, Freddie Powell; Ex-Officio; Office: (404) 463-5259; Audrey.lee@senate,ga,gov
- Harbison, Ed Member; Office: (404) 656-0074; email@example.com
- Harbin, Marty; Office: (404) 656-0078; firstname.lastname@example.org