Advocates for Responsible Care
Dorothy Leone-Glasser, RN, HHC.
1434 Brook Valley Lane, NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30324
July 6, 2016
Democratic National Convention 2016
As Executive Director of the Advocates for Responsible Care (ARxC), the Chair of the Specialty Tiers Coalition of Georgia (STC of GA) and a clinical nurse specialist we recognize the privilege to give our recommendations to the DNC National Committee on the issues of health and human rights that affects our wellbeing. At ARxC we are a non-profit organization that functions as an alliance of health care professionals, patient advocates, and human rights specialists to advance ARxC’s mission to reduce cultural incompetency and health care delivery disparity. We offer services to inform the public, mobilize support, and advocate, craft policy with legislators and implement strategies to address the inequitable delivery of health care services in Georgia and throughout our nation. We recognize many areas of concern that are threatened because of lack of public education, legislative support and the coolness to receive the importance of a national platform. Yet, we know the devastating daily impact on people’s economic, civic, mental, emotional/psychological and physical health.
We have listed a sampling of these critical health interests below. ARxC strongly supports:
- - New innovative research and pathways to the discovery, application, distribution with full access to health care treatments and medicines always ensuring safety, consistency and reliability for patients and physicians.
- - Ensuring whenever CMS contemplates any reforms that will affect patients and physicians, they will uphold the critical need for transparent, comprehensive communications with stakeholders (includes patient advocates and physicians) throughout the process.
- - We also ask the above apply to the FDA in expediting medications/ treatments (including medical marijuana), stem cell and clinical trials.
- - Re-design of all prescription drug formularies of all health insurance companies operating in the USA. Open, cost-transparent formularies on all Medicaid/Medicare, Marketplace plans.
- - Medicaid Expansion in every state under ACA guidelines.
- - Reducing the burden of co-insurance and copays and high out-of-pocket costs for vital medications by implementing legislation which establishes a science-based policy for accessing lifesaving medicines and therapies.
- - Eliminating all ‘Fail First’ barriers to medication access
- - Patient/physician relationships; enable solid decision making for physicians and patients together, encouraging compliance with therapy and promoting positive health outcomes for treatment of all illnesses and complex diseases. We ask that you help us maintain this bond by eliminating barriers:
- - lack of a streamline, universal prior authorization form
- - reduce other administrative costs
- - require insurance plans and other stakeholders to participate in a transparent, patient friendly manner ensuring accountability of medical coverage for all beneficiaries
- - Developing a streamline pathway to citizenship for all our undocumented aspiring citizens including ensure that adults, children of immigrants and their families have the opportunity to pay their fair share for affordable health care coverage, have access to nutrition assistance when they need it, (including CHIP, SNAP, Medicaid, Medicare) and that our nation’s new taxpayers can all fully participate in our tax programs and Social Security system.
- - Reducing gun violence by legislation of background checks and banning assault rifles to ensure the health and safety of our citizens.
The health and welfare of every life is important and ARxC will be their voice until they are heard.
Dorothy Leone-Glasser, RN, HHC.
Executive Director, Advocates for Responsible Care (ARxC)
Chair, Advocacy and Disparities, Arthritis Foundation, SE Region
Chair, Specialty Tiers Coalition of Georgia
Project Lead, Rx in Reach GA